You just got your grilled delivered today. Either you put it together your self or it was delivered already assembled. Are you asking your self, “What is the first thing to cook on my new grill” ? The first thing to cook has to be a burger on any new grill. There is just something about a burger that everyone loves. The melted cheese, the grilled onions, or even the taste of the pickle from that burger on the grill. I will share with you my simple award winning easy burger recipe (and by award winning I give my self a pat on the back after everyone eats them). You can also substitute Venison if you are looking for a venison burger recipe on the grill. If this is the first thing you cook on your new grill we would love to hear about it. Leave us a comment below. If you are new to grilling you can start here and move forward. Grilling is all about trial and error. Just don’t set the house on fire.
Five Star Burger recipe
1. I like a yummy burger with a little more fat so I will usually go with a pack 80/20 ground beef. Here is what i use for seasoning. (stay tuned for turkey burger recipe)
Burger Seasoning recipe
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a small salsa bowl or Mixing bowl
- Black Pepper
- a tablespoon of brown sugar for a slight sweet taste
- Smoked Paprika
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Two shakes of Worcestershire
- Take your finger and stir your burger seasoning recipe together
2. Next place your 80/20 ground beef in a bowl and mix the contents of your seasoning that you just made and mix it into the 80/20 ground beef with your hands. If you were looking for other options rather than 80/20 ground beef then you could use ground sirloin and make a sirloin burger. The flavor of the sirloin burger is fantastic.
3. If you have a pound and a half of 80/20 ground beef then I like to make around four burgers for the grill. Once the meat is seasoned I like to make them into a ball and then flatten them down to be thin.
4. If you have not done so already go ahead and light your grill for the burgers. If you are using a Weber grill for this five star burger recipe then this should not take you very long to get your grill up to 400 degrees. If you are using charcoal or lump charcoal on a kamado type grill then this could take you 20-35 minutes depending on what type of grill you are using. If you are looking for fire starters check out these Kamado Joe Fire Starter Don’t forget to spray the grill with some sort of grill spray
5. Depending on the thickness of them I like to usually grill each side 3-4 minutes on both sides and flip. One way to test the doneness of your five start burger is to use the touch test. If you touch the burger and it feels firm then it is done. They also make meat thermometers. A good meat thermometer is a great thing to have.
6. Usually at the 6th minute of being grilled on the second side i like to add a piece of cheese and let it melt on there. The best cheese for burgers in my opinion is crackerjack. Others will say the best cheese for burgers is cheddar or Swiss. I will let you decided what you want on your five star yummy burger
As for meat doneness heres is a simple guide
- Well Done: 160°F to 165°F – It will be pretty dry…But really safe to eat
- Medium Well: 150°F to 155°F – This burger will have a small amount of pink center, but the outsides will be pretty dry.
- Medium: 140°F to 145°F – Slight pink throughout burger
- Medium Rare: 130°F to 135°F – Pretty raw beef . I would not recommended. Although if i were eating a steak this is how I would eat it. (stay tuned)
- Rare: 120°F to 125°F – not recommended. It’s not cooked
7. If you are feeling a little crazy then you can always throw your buns on the grill to get some grill marks on them, but be careful because they will burn quickly
I hope you enjoyed this basic burger recipe. I would love to hear your feedback or things you tried differently.